So for around three months now, Matt and I (also known as MTCHLR) have been working away at recording my first song so I can start releasing my music. It was genuinely such a wonderful and positive experience working with him and I learnt SO much in terms of post production, but even production in a sense of live instruments etc.
I wrote a song in around April of 2026 called "I Wish You Knew". It's about my dad, who passed away in June of 2025. It hit me, and of course, everyone else like a big rock to the heart and head. I started writing it thinking about all the things I wish he knew before going, and even now... if you understand that kind of feeling. Anyways, this song, along with many others, is held very close to my heart and I thought it really deserved a spotlight the proper way.
I had been a fan of Matt's Youtube videos (which you should definitely check out, even before working with him, I learnt a lot about things to use on Logic and everything else through his videos), and thought one of the only right things to do was reach out to see how working with him would look like - seeing as I'm all the way in Malaysia and he's in the far away lands of maple syrup and cherries (aka. Canada). We set up calls and found a way - meetings, I remotely record the guitar and vocals here, send them over, he then works his magic on everything else with opinions and feedback along the way.
Along with all my writings, and his expertise in making anything genuinely sound magical, I really wanted to take inspiration from Lizzy McAlpine's work - specifically works like Pushing It Down And Praying and homage from her Older (and Wiser) album. Which meant, electric guitar strings on an acoustic for a lighter sound, hauntingly tragic organs, multiple guitars panned out in what sounds to be a hollow room, a beautiful drum beat, synths, rhode pianos, real pianos, bass, etc... and I think it came together FANTASTIC!!!!
To cut to the end, one of the things we thought would be a good idea would be to make a video, to sort of guide his audience to seeing how his coaching and how working with him works, even if you are not in the same place as him. Art will always find it's way to make itself known and beautiful!
Here's his video about the makings of this very true to me song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXxe6n0OoY&t=101s
Here's his Youtube Channel which has fantastic tips and advice on producing your own songs: https://www.youtube.com/@mtchlrprod
(and at the very end of the video... there is a sneak peak of the song!!!)
Not entirely sure when I'll release it as I'm working on other things, but it's very safe to say SOMETHING is coming out... FINALLY!!!)
Excitedly yours, MEI !!! xxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment